Now that the tenons are done, time for matching mortises. Now, I could just scribe and chop them out by hand, there are only two. However, I want them to be pretty tight and being risk-adverse at this stage in the project (I can’t get two more crotch walnut legs if I really screw up!) – I went with a template.
The other reason for making this template was to make test mortises and check the squareness of my stretcher + tenons.
It turns out that my stretcher is still slightly twisted (or the tenons are) and so check out the first picture again and note a piece of veneer taped to the template. This rotates the mortise very slightly from 90 and running a second test (note two sets of mortises in the second picture) confirmed that the test legs sat firmly on the ground (my dead-flat assembly table).
Finally – I ran a layer of blue tape on the inside of the template to make it just that tiny bit tighter for the tenon to fit. Time to do the real thing.